Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Leverage Web Application User Policy

Recently I had to go through a list of SharePoint sites manually to fix a Javascript issue caused by an legacy site definition.

After I was done with the first couple of sites, I realized that this could be a long boring process. All the sites reside in different site collections, and I don't have permissions to access most of them.

To grant myself as site collection administrators, I need to go to central admin > application management > Change site collection administrators, and set myself as second site collection administrator for each site collection. In that case, I would spend hours just doing clicks in central admin.







Fortunately, there is a way to grant permission to all site collections in a web application. It's called "User Policy". Under central admin > application management, pick a web application, and click "User Policy" on the ribbon, then click "Add Users".





























We can apply user policy only to certain zones of a web application, but in my case, the web application only have one "default" zone, so I left it as default value "All zones".
















Finally, I granted myself "Full Control" to the web application, and now I can access all the site collections within it.

























Essentially user policy overwrites all permission settings within a web application, so use it carefully. Once I finished my manual process, I removed the policy I added !

No comments:

Post a Comment